Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Laying the Foundation

My dad and his dad built our house, so it was only fitting that when I was about 7ish, my grandpa built me a replica of our house as a dollhouse to play with. However, it was built at 1/24 scale, and all my dollhouse accoutrement were 1/12. I didn’t play with it as much as I should have, and I didn’t respect it nearly enough.

Grandpa suffered his last stroke almost 11 years ago and passed away. Since then, I’ve graduated high school, my brother and I have both received college degrees, and we’ve both felt the sting of the Michigan economy: we’re both currently unemployed, him so much so that he had to move back in with my parents.

But, that’s an interesting note: we’ve always had our parents, and their home, to fall back on. That same house that Dad and Grandpa built in 1976 is the one we come home to, the same one that inspired the dollhouse that is now dusty and in disrepair.

I figure a good tribute to my grandpa, then, would be to restore it.

I'd like to chronicle this journey as much as I can on this blog. Please join me, and if you have any questions, tips, or whatever, please feel free to comment!

Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment